Studying abroad provides an opportunity to travel, learn a new language and a different culture. Institute for Statistics record shows that the number of international students is increasing by about 12 percent each year.
While studying abroad can be one of the best and rewarding experiences of anyone’s life, students must take the necessary precautions to protect their health and safety.
Before moving to the new city:
- You must invest in travel health insurance to help you in case of a random accident or theft.
- Check if your prescription medicines, if any, are allowed on the international flight or not. If not then find out where can you get them after you land.
- Before moving to the new city, you must familiarize yourself with the safest mode of transportation.
- You should look for accommodation in a locality where it is easier for you to commute to college. Also, make sure that you stay in a peaceful neighborhood, even if it is expensive. In case of campus accommodation, reach out to prospective classmates and seniors to find out more about the place.
- Keep yourself informed about the local news to find out if there are any large protests or disturbances in the locality.
After moving to the new city:
- Be protective of your documents such as your passport and identification. Always keep a copy of your passport with you.
- Once you get there, get a local SIM card and always inform at least one reliable person about where you are going and with whom.
- Try not to draw too much attention to yourself by shouting, dressing different or wearing expensive things. You should always try to blend with the locals.
- Most countries penalize traffic violations. Thus, you must familiarize yourself with the local traffic laws and follow them religiously.
- Additionally, you must stay watchful and aware of your surroundings all the time. Don’t wander through unfamiliar areas or act friendly towards total strangers.
VAS Career Services’ can provide you with Visa, Insurance and Accommodation assistance to make sure your study abroad experience is rewarding. So, concur your fear and start preparations today.